Saturday, December 4, 2010

Snacember 4

Snack #4:  C is for Cookie, that's good enough for meeeee........


Oh holiday cookies, I just can't quit you.

So I thought for today's snack I would share one of my favorites.

Spicy and grown-up, these are gingery molassesy goodness.

Can't take credit, these are stolen from one of my extra Moms, Carol of the fiery red hair and the even more fiery cookies.  Totally addictive.

Spicy Ginger Molasses Cookies


12 T unsalted butter
1 c dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1/3 c molasses (robust or full flavor style)

Cream until blended.

Add:
1 T lemon zest
2 t baking soda
½ t salt
½ t ground white pepper
2 t cinnamon
1 T plus 1 t ground ginger

Blend well.

Sift 2 ¼ c flour and blend into mixture, which should make a fairly stiff dough. Roll balls of 1-2 T and roll in granulated sugar (cane sugar or raw sugar preferred for crunch).

Chill balls for 30 minutes.

Bake on parchment or silpat sheets on cookie sheets at 350 for 10-12 minutes…they will not look done, but should be slightly cracked, important to not overbake, or you will lose the wonderful chewy factor.


I love these as is, but over the years have come up with a few ways to gild the lily...

Stir in 1/4 c chopped crystallized ginger to up the ginger ante.
Frost with cream cheese, vanilla, or caramel frosting.  Sprinkle with chopped toasted walnuts or pecans.

Dip halfway or drizzle with melted dark or white chocolate.

Make sandwiches with marshmallow fluff, dulce de leche or peanut butter.

Make ice cream sandwiches with caramel, vanilla, or toffee chip ice cream.

Use as the base of individual chesecakes, by putting one cookie in the bottom of each cup in a muffin tin, and then pouring the cheesecake blend of your choice on top....I like vanilla, pumpkin, or coffee cheesecake flavors for this.

Yours in Spicy Cookie Good Taste,
The Polymath

3 comments:

  1. ...and this is one I may have to add to the cookie repertoire when I get back to the states in a few weeks! Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big fan of the chewy ginger molasses cookie at Christmas time, or any time really. I didn't get a can the size of a Buick by limiting my cookie intake to the holidays, after all. But a ginger cookie as the base of a mini cheesecake? That is inspired. I think it's safe to say that I will be stealing that idea and shamelessly passing it off as my own. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made these cookies today and the dough is delish. Can not wait to try the actual cookie. Thans for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete